PKRA Track Overview
Our multiple configuration asphalt track is 3/4th of a mile long and averages 25 feet in width. With 12 turns of various radii and over 500 feet of straight away, it’s a constant challenge for both the novice and expert driver.
- Race Surface Specs: 0.7 mile paved road course with 12 turns, 12 possible configurations, and lights for nighttime racing.
- Curbing and Asphalt: The curbs at PKRA are built to current CIK specs, and the asphalt is a special racing blend.
- Safety: Always a priority at PKRA, the safety of our membership is our first priority.
- Paddock Area: Paved walkways and 177 pit spaces provide a premiere paddock area capable of holding National events.
- Scenic Locations: Located inside a park, you will feel safe and comfortable with your family at PKRA.
- Communications: The facility features a PA system, as well as live timing during race events to keep fans informed.
Track Practice Day Procedures
This is a summary of Practice Day Procedures. (They vary a bit from Race Day Procedures)
- Front Row pit spots are open on a first come – first served basis.
- Please park additional vehicles not transporting a kart on the back row or behind other vehicles carrying karts to allow room for others.
- The Registration Desk for Practice is just outside the Grid Pits, between the “A” and “B” Grid.
- Drivers and anyone entering the Pit Grid area must sign in, and pay according to the practice pricing schedule. Parents / Guardians must sign a release for minors.
- On Practice Days, Pit Pass Wrist Bands are required within the grid area, but not within the area where vehicles are parked.
- Drivers must understand the particular configuration being run that day, including the path to be taken back into the pits. Normally, the configuration is that of the next club race, but exceptions may be made for special situations (e.g. when there are long periods between races).
- Karts are brought into the grid area next to the Registration Desk, and can be put down on either the “A” or “B” grid, but if possible, only on one side of the grid (normally the side away from the track) to allow a wider path through the grid.
- Karts may be driven through the grid area, but limited to 5mph. Coming off the track into the pits, cones direct you back into the grid instead of over the scales.
- When coming out out of the pits, look for karts, and take care to never come out right in front of one. It will take you awhile to get up to speed, so give them plenty of room.
- If you go off track, check for other karts behind you and wait until you won’t come out right in front of someone else.
- Stopping on track is not allowed. If you have trouble and can’t get back to the pits, you must move the kart off the track.
- Parents may be on track with Kid Karts only. Coaches for other classes may be on track with permission from the Track Coordinator.
- Practice Sessions are split into separate groups, with some flexibility in grouping depending on numbers of karts in each class:
- Kid Karts – always by themselves
- Junior 1/ Cadet – Can be combined with Junior 2
- Adult – Can be 4 cycle or TAG. Can be combined with Junior 2 or Shifters
- Beginner 4 cycle – may be split out as a separate group
- TAG and/or Shifters may be split out as a separate group(s)
- Sessions are generally 10 minutes for each grouping.
- Different Days of the Week each have a different focus, but may vary for special events or situations. See the PKRA Calendar for the up to date schedule.
- Mondays – Closed.
- Tuesdays – Beginner Training Practice. First timers can go out by themselves, and there is someone to provide basic instruction. All are allowed on Tuesdays, but it is understood that due to the beginner/training focus, drivers may not get the seat time they would on other days.
- Wednesdays – Rental Night. Beginners / First Timer Rentals are encouraged to come out on Wednesdays. Others may come out to practice on Wednesdays, but there may be less seat time available than on other nights. During the hottest months, the track is closed on Wednesdays.
- Thursdays – Open Practice.
- Fridays – Racer/Experienced Driver Practice. The focus is for Experienced drivers, and in particular for those planning to race in the next weekend race. Beginners will not be accommodated (we will not split out beginner groups). Beginners should plan to come out another time, ideally on Tuesdays or Wednesdays for Rentals.
- Weekends – Open Practice.