Effective immediately and until further notice, PKRA is restricting practice. This is expected through at least April 30, but this could change as the situation warrants.
- Only members will be allowed at normal practice.
- Non-Members may rent the track for small groups (<10) by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- To keep participation to acceptable levels, members must schedule their practice by emailing email@example.com.
- Drivers can bring at most one other person with them.
- We will be keeping the same practice schedule for now, but are splitting Saturday practice into two four hour sessions for scheduling purposes.
- Members can book at most two sessions per week.
- Preference will be given to beginners on Tuesdays.
- Please cancel promptly to allow others to practice
- Pit in even numbered spaces only, and bring a pen with you to sign in.
- Be careful what you touch and sanitize and wash your hands frequently.
- If you feel you may have symptoms, please stay at home. If you develop symptoms later, please let us know.
We appreciate your support in this manner. We believe these restrictions will allow us to remain open with minimal risk to all.
PKRA Board of Directors
Note: For final season points, DQ’s are not droppable, and so to force Obits to drop the next lowest points for those who raced 9 or 10 races., those points were zeroed as well
The March 9 Open Board Meeting Minutes have been published. Highlights are as follows:
- The 2020 Summer Race schedule was agreed upon. See https://www.pkra.com/racing-schedule/
We will continue the Qualifying/Heat/Main format.
- The Seniors and Masters will remain separate classes and the handicap system that was discussed will not be implemented.
- The Hoosier compounds per class were decided for the summer season. LO206 Junior 1 will use the R70 compound, together with the LO206 Junior 2, Senior, and Masters classes. See the bottom of the Classes page for the full list.
- We are restarting the Competition Committee. See Garrett Drysdale if you would like to like to help out on this committee.
- Tom Kutcher has demanded we stop using the IKF Ruleset. PKRA will no longer be sanctioned by IKF nor use IKF rules.
The 2020 Arizona Drag Racers Reunion and Kart Swap Meet & Expo originally scheduled for March 28 has been postponed. Current thoughts are for late May, but a new date has not yet been selected
PKRA has selected Hoosier tires for PKRA Club Races beginning May 1, 2020
see the announcement at https://www.pkra.com/hoosier-tire-selection/
Questions and Answers Regarding the Hoosier Tire Selection for PKRA Club Races
Does this apply to all PKRA Club Race Classes?
Yes. As with the other tire contracts, the distributor will provide tires and other items for the banquet, and in return we require their tires for PKRA club races.
Which Compounds will we use for each Class?
The compounds we will be using were decided at the Mar 9 meeting:
Kid Kart: R60B 4.5/4.5
LO206 Junior 1: R70 4.5/4.5
LO206 Junior 2: R70 4.5/6.0
LO206 Senior: R70 4.5/6.0
LO206 Masters: R70 4.5/6.0
Tag100 Junior: R60B 4.5/7.1
Tag100 Senior: R60B 4.5/7.1
Tag125: R60A 4.5/7.1
Shifters: R60A 4.5/7.1
Why was the decision made in closed session?
(1) One of the vendors we spoke with was very upset that a past proposal was given directly to the competition, and we can’t let that happen.
(2) We’ve heard a great deal of […]
The PKRA Board of Directors has chosen Hoosier tires for the PKRA spec club race tire beginning May 1. The reasons are simple – Hoosier offers more durable tire compounds that will stand up to our abrasive track with very good performance. We also expect a lower retail price.
We believe this provides the best value for our members; allowing them to purchase tires less often and reducing their cost when they do. We believe this provides much greater value than the race day free tire drawings, and benefits those who do not choose to race. We expect the largest benefit to be to the LO206 Jr 2, Senior, and Masters classes, and feel this will encourage drivers to come out more often. We feel keeping costs down is important to growing the club.
While the board made the decision in closed sessions over a number of months, we’ve heard a great deal of input from the members, with the overwhelming majority complaining about tire costs. We believe we have weighed all the factors, including the potential implications of promotors bringing races to PKRA, and believe this is in the overall best interests of the club. The vote was unanimous, except for one abstention.
Hoosier has a great reputation worldwide in may […]
The Feb 10 Open Board Meeting Minutes have been published.
- The board chose Hoosier as the Club Race spec tire
- The board chose to raffle off the remaining Evinco tires at race #8, with tickets at $5 each
- The board is looking for volunteers to serve on the Competition Committee and Marketing Committee if you are interested
- The ages for Tag100 will remain at 16+ for Senior and 12-15 for Junior, but waivers will be accepted as young as 14 for senior and 11 for junior
- We will have a separate, open meeting to review the P&L and discuss long term plans for the club.
The Awards Banquet for the 2019 seasons is scheduled for 6:00 PM on January 25, and will again be at Dave and Busters. Advance purchase ticket sales have closed, but you can still pay at the door. For more information, see the event on MotorsportReg at https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/awards-banquet-for-2019-seasons-phoenix-kart-racing-association-336158
The track will be open for practice 10:00-5:00 on Monday (MLK Birthday)
The Dec 9 Open Board Meeting Minutes have been published.
- The track will be open during the day (10:00am-3:00pm) Mon Dec 23, Thu Dec 26, Fri Dec 27, Mon Dec 30, Tue Dec 31, Wed Jan 1, Thu Jan 2, as well as Fri Jan 3 from 10:00am-10:00pm
- The Pet policy has been modified to allow dogs with the following restrictions:
- Pets must be on a leash no longer than 6ft, in a closed vehicle (no access to outsiders), or carried in your arms, and fully under your control at all times.
- If your animal bites someone, the pet will be banned forever, and the person/family will be suspended/banned for at least 30 days.
- By bringing a pet, you agreed to abide by these rules and assume all liability.
- The Track work day originally scheduled for Dec 14 has been canceled.
- A reminder that on race day, the vehicle gate closes when registration closes (currently 10:30am for winter season). Visitors that come later can park in the north lot, and must purchase pit pass wrist bands to enter the pit area.
- A reminder that the Awards Banquet is scheduled for Jan 25 from 6:00pm-9:00pm. You may […]
The Nov 11 Open Board Meeting Minutes have been published.
- Pets will no longer be allowed at PKRA.
- We will be using the new registration room beginning with the Nov 17 race.
- The Awards Banquet is scheduled for Jan 25 from 6:00pm-9:00pm. A motorsportReg event has been created.
- Tire testing has begun, and we are targeting the Dec 9 meeting to discuss alternatives with the membership.
- We will not perform tech for the Shifter Open class.
- Kids Karts receiving a DQ will not receive a trophy.
- We will spread out the LO206 Jr1 at about 3 second intervals for qualifying.
- The board has given specific race officials the authority to eject individuals for abusive language or violence.